Monday, January 14, 2013

Shelley and The Awesome Gifts

I'm not going to lie. Today was crap. It was a horrid, evil, nasty day.

First, it was cold. Yesterday morning it was close to 70 degrees and lovely, even if a little rainy. It made me think Spring and it put a spring in my step. But this morning I woke up to 25 degrees. How in the world do you go from Spring to practically subarctic in the span of 24 hours? I can feel the cold coming on. This weather has my poor immune system all confused.

Then today at work was just....well...difficult. Don't get me wrong I love my job, most of the time and I know how incredibly lucky I am to have a job, but sometimes doing what I do can get overwhelming. Just saying. Today was one of those days.

Then I ended my work day at our local courthouse, taking care of a nuisance that just won't accept defeat. Not the most fun thing in the world but at least now the proper steps have been taken and action will commence.

And on top of all of this, as I said earlier...I feel a cold coming on. All in all today was complete crud.

Tonight however...tonight has been awesome. I came home to three presents...and it isn't even Christmas.

First I opened a gift from a friend of mine and Husband-Man's...we'll call him Rockstar to protect his privacy. Rockstar's wife, we'll call her Groupie, just had a birthday and I wrote her a silly little ditty:

Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo,
With a husband like Rockstar, it must be fun too.
 
 
Not ground breaking or Earth shattering...I'm certainly not winning any Grammy's for it. But still...I love her, so I took the time. Its much better than the standard, "Happy birthday! Hope its great!" you see on Facebook all the time.
 
Well Rockstar loved it and commented on it and said something about how cool I am. And it must be said...I am cool! If you knew me...you'd know. But trust me when I say I think I'm the coolest person I know. (Totally tongue in  cheek there. I'm really the biggest nerd I know)
 
I replied to Rockstar that I was certainly cooler than Husband-Man who offered up the standard line...See above. Thus started funny comments about Husband-Man and his birthday suit and Groupie was suitably appalled. Job well done, Husband-Man and I laughed about it and moved on, looking forward to seeing our Rockstar and his Groupie sometime in the very near future.
 
But I came home today to a folded envelope with an odd return address, an alien one, if you will. I'll let you take a look at the pics below to see what was inside.
 
 
The envelope
 
 
The gift...Pretty out of this world huh?
 
I love socks. Love them. And I rarely wear matching ones. It's one of my little quirks. Socks aren't seen by anyone you don't want them to see, right? So why waste all of that energy trying to match them all? I'm glad you see it my way.
 
Rockstar's gift is just stellar and I couldn't love it more! So Rockstar...THANKS! I love you!
 
Then, my darling, beautiful stepdaughter R had a couple surprises for me. Apparently they are late Christmas presents but whatever...they are pretty awesome. 
 
I think I may have mentioned I'm a Potterhead. Harry is definitely my homeboy. So opening her gift was so fun. She knows me Miss R. does. She knows me well.
 
My new t-shirt
 

 Butterbeer Lip Balm from Wonder Witch
 
 
I can assure you I am wearing the t-shirt and my lips smell just like I've always imagined butterbeer would smell. For a Potterhead this is a super gift. Not to mention the t-shirt is grey and it is my personal belief that grey t-shirts are softer than other colors.
 
And to finish the awesome gifts of this evening out, I turned on the TV to hear that my University of Louisville Cardinals are ranked #1 in the nation. C-A-R-D-S C-A-R-D-S GO CARDS GO!!!!
 
Now I'm going to settle in, eat some pizza, be comfy in my new shirt and socks and be glad that the end of the day was so much better than the day itself.
 
Hope yours is as well!
Smooches!
Shelley

No comments: